Seriously, though. This was all a great big joke that I played gleefully along with when it made the plot of Dogma make a lot more sense.
Catholicism, WOW. Wanna know the difference between Christianity (well, specifically in this case Catholicism) and Islam? Check out how they feel about non-believers.
Francis wrote: “You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don’t believe and who don’t seek the faith. I start by saying – and this is the fundamental thing – that God’s mercy has no limits if you go to him with a sincere and contrite heart. The issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience.
“Sin, even for those who have no faith, exists when people disobey their conscience.”
Sin exists when people disobey their conscience. That’s amazing stuff. Be true to yourself. Do the next right thing. Help your fellow man, and the Catholic Kingdom of Heaven might even be open to you if you don’t believe.
What do radical Muslims believe again? Hmmm…
Robert Mickens, the Vatican correspondent for the Catholic journal The Tablet, said the pontiff’s comments were further evidence of his attempts to shake off the Catholic Church’s fusty image, reinforced by his extremely conservative predecessor Benedict XVI. “Francis is a still a conservative,” said Mr Mickens. “But what this is all about is him seeking to have a more meaningful dialogue with the world.”
More meaningful dialogue. Wow. that’s a message of hope, a message of peace, a message of tolerance.
Even to these N/A-theist ears…
- You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven. Just obey your Conscience (endtimeheadlines.wordpress.com)
- The Pope versus Jesus (audacityandsupposition.com)
- Common Beliefs of the Roman Catholic Church (christianity.answers.com)
- “You Don’t Have To Believe God Exists To Go To Heaven” – Pope Francis…. (spongebobz14.wordpress.com)
- Pope Francis Says That Unbelievers Still Go To Heaven (lynleahz.com)
- The Epistle of Jude and Early Catholicism (diglotting.com)
- Pope Francis Says That Unbelievers Still Go To Heaven (vineoflifenews.com)
- Pope Says Let Conscience be Your Guide to Heaven (godfatherpolitics.com)
- Pope Francis: Atheists Can Be Saved if They ‘Obey Their Conscience’ (patheos.com)
- Pope Francis: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven (lumatha.wordpress.com)