Hate to drive traffic to the NY Slime, but there it is… History repeating itself, over and over and over.
Thomas Friedman delivers a stinging indictment against all of this madness:
…please do spare me the lecture that America’s credibility is at stake here. Really? Sunnis and Shiites have been fighting since the 7th century over who is the rightful heir to the Prophet Muhammad’s spiritual and political leadership, and our credibility is on the line? Really? Their civilization has missed every big modern global trend — the religious Reformation, democratization, feminism and entrepreneurial and innovative capitalism — and our credibility is on the line? I don’t think so.
We’ve struggled for a long time, and still are, learning to tolerate “the other.” That struggle has to happen in the Arab/Muslim world, otherwise nothing we do matters. What is the difference between the Arab awakening in 2011 and South Africa’s transition to democracy in the 1990s? America? No. The quality of local leadership and the degree of tolerance.
Our cause is just. No War In Syria. Do anything you can to spread the word.
- “NO” TO WAR IN SYRIA; “NO” TO VIOLENCE ANYWHERE! -Fr. Cedric Prakash sj* (silentmaj.wordpress.com)
- Senator Rand Paul Washington Times Op-Ed: How do you ask a man to be the first man to die for a mistake? (americanfreedombybarbara.com)
- Patrick Buchanan: Just Whose War Is This? – OpEd (eurasiareview.com)
- People Joining Across Spectrum To Stop War on Syria and It’s Having an Effect (antiwar.com)
- Ralph Nader: Obama You Cannot Start A War By Yourself – OpEd (eurasiareview.com)
- British Bow Out of Syria Intervention, USG Plunging Ahead (lawfareblog.com)